Americans are fed up with unlimited money in elections taking away their political power and drowning out their voices.
The voices of working Americans are being drowned out by those with the biggest wallets, and if candidates are only talking to those funding their campaigns, they’re not listening to the American people. It means wallets on Wall Street bulge, and working class wages stagnate. It means the cost of a college education skyrockets. And it means the pensions you worked so hard to earn are gutted while wealthy special interests push massive trade deals written by and for the profit of multi-national corporations.
The Government By the People Act in House of Representatives and the Fair Elections Now Act in the Senate aim to change the status quo:
- BUILDING A GOVERNMENT OF, BY AND FOR THE PEOPLE
- The Government by the People Act and Fair Elections Now Act are comprehensive reforms designed to combat the influence of big money politics, raise civic engagement and amplify the voice of everyday Americans – putting the public interest back in front of special interests.
- EMPOWER AMERICANS TO PARTICIPATE
- Provide everyday Americans with a refundable My Voice tax credit to help spur small-dollar contributions to candidates for Congressional office. Empowering more Americans to participate in campaign giving will improve our representative democracy and reduce Congress’ dependence on big money interests.
- AMPLIFY THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE
- Establish a Freedom from Influence Fund to multiply the impact of small-dollar donations. Small-dollar contributions ($150 or less per election) will be matched from the fund, provided the candidate receiving the contribution forgoes big money special interests and focuses on earning broad based support from small-dollar donors. Carefully crafted to provide participating candidates sufficient resources to compete, the Freedom from Influence Fund would make the grassroots supporter just as powerful as the big money donor.
- FIGHT BACK AGAINST BIG MONEY SPECIAL INTERESTS
- Prevent Super PACs and Billionaires from drowning out the voice of everyday Americans. In the wake of the Citizens United decision, unlimited outside spending has monopolized the airwaves in the final weeks of elections. Citizen-funded candidates who are able to raise at least $50,000 in additional small-dollar donations within the 60-day “home stretch” of the general election would be eligible for additional resources, ensuring the voice of the people is heard.
CWA will continue to work with alliance partners to get corporate money out of politics and help make the American political process work for working families.